How to Nominate
The Mullan Distinguished Teacher award is presented annually to honor an exemplary faculty members.
To be nominated for the award a faculty member must meet the following criteria:
- Full-time faculty status
- A minimum of three years of full-time teaching at Notre Dame of Maryland University before nomination for the award
- Outstanding instructional competence and skill
Evidence of this criterion may be found in the following:
- Ability to stimulate students intellectually so that they will participate in class discussions, do library work, and strive for excellence in written and in oral communication
- Ability to relate course material to the world beyond the classroom
- Ability to design effective evaluation criteria for judging student performance and understanding of course content
- Adherence to the Notre Dame mission
The Nominating Committee
The Mullan Distinguished Teacher Committee consists of the following 11 members:
- The four faculty members who have most recently been awarded the honor for distinguished teaching (Each year the new recipient of the award will replace one of the faculty members presently on the Committee.)
- The student chairperson of the Academic Committee of the Student Senate.
- Four Dean's List students representing humanities, social sciences, fine arts, and natural sciences (Those students shall be elected by all the Dean's List students.)
- A College of Adult Undergraduate Studies student designated by the vice president for academic affairs.
- A Continuing Education student designated by the vice president for academic affairs (Students selected from CAUS and the Continuing Education program are to have strong academic records and to have been students in these programs for a continued period of time.)
The Committee solicits nominations from students and faculty, reviews and discusses these nominations, and selects three nominees whose names it presents to the president. The president, in consultation with the vice president for academic affairs, chooses one of the three nominees for the award. The deliberations of the Committee and the names of the three nominees are kept absolutely confidential among the Committee members.