Master of Arts in Teaching
This 36-credit program is for students who wish to earn certification and a master's degree concurrently to begin their career in education.
Notre Dame is a leader in teacher training. Our programs anticipate and meet teacher shortage needs, regionally and globally. A Notre Dame education enables you to contribute to the academic success of Maryland elementary, middle and high school students.
- Notre Dame offers the only master's degrees in gifted and talented education and mathematics instructional leadership for grades K-6 and 4-9.
- 100% of 2013 MAT graduates received job offers. 95% of 2013 graduates of our initial certification programs are working in their chosen field.
- 14 Notre Dame graduates have been named Teacher of the Year over that past six years.
In 15 months of full-time study, or two to three years of part-time study, students earn a teaching certificate and the skills necessary for success as an elementary, secondary, early childhood education, or special education teacher. (Additionally, there is a 10-month MAT fast-track program.)
The program requires a bachelor’s degree with either a major (30 credits) in a content area taught in a secondary school, or completion of twelve credits each in English, mathematics, science and social studies, with six credits in fine arts for elementary education.
In addition to professional course work at Notre Dame, students will complete a yearlong internship experience in a professional development school.
Subject areas offered include:
- Art or Music, (PreK-12)
- Early Childhood and Elementary Education (PreK-6)
- Special Education (PreK-6; 6-Adult) alone or as a dual certification with Elementary or Secondary Education
- Elementary Education (1-6)
- Secondary Subjects: Business, Computer Science, English, World Languages [Chinese, French, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish], Math, Science [Biology, Chemistry, Earth Science, Physical Science, Physics], Social Studies, or Theater (7-12)
Praxis II tests in the certification area must be passed by end of program.
All programs offered by the School of Education at Notre Dame of Maryland University are NCATE and MSDE approved.
For all admissions information on main campus/other locations:
Enrollment Manager for Education, Initial Certification
For information in Southern Maryland
Dr. Karen Wooten
School of Education