Become a Morrissy Scholar
Current and prospective Notre Dame of Maryland University students may apply to the Morrissy Honors Program by completing the form below. A faculty committee reviews the records of first-year students and transfer students to prepare a cohort of potential scholars.
Each semester, the director of the Morrissy Program seeks recommendations from the faculty. The director also asks students to apply through self-nomination. Ordinarily, the honors cohort comprises 15 percent to 20 percent of each class.
- Students must maintain a 3.3 overall average and a B average in honors courses.
- Honors courses cannot be taken on a pass/fail basis.
- Students must register for at least one honors course per year.
- Scholars must take six honors courses (18 credits) to complete the program.
- The director reviews the records of Morrissy scholars at the end of each spring semester.
- Those who are enrolled in “3/2” programs with other institutions must complete a minimum of 15 honors credits.
- Three credits of honors work may be taken as an independent study with the approval of the faculty member concerned and the Morrissy director.
- A semester or year of study abroad satisfies 3 credits (one course) of honors work.
- Morrissy scholars are expected to participate in at least six Morrissy-sponsored events annually.