Notre Dame of Maryland University offers strong preparatory programs for Women’s College students who wish to enter medical, dental, veterinary, pharmacy and law schools.
These programs share a focus on providing the individualized attention and support that students need to get ready for challenging professional programs at the graduate level.
Each student has the opportunity to work with a pre-professional coordinator from their first day at Notre Dame. This faculty member assists the student in making the best choices in their undergraduate program of study, in completing the required courses to enter the desired professional school, in securing practical experience related to the chosen professional career and in successfully navigating the professional school admissions process.
Liberal Arts Matter
Many students don’t realize that professional schools are willing to consider applicants from a wide range of undergraduate majors. In fact, any major that gives a broad training in the liberal arts and allows the student to successfully complete the requirements for admission is typically acceptable to professional schools.
That’s one of the reasons why working with a pre-professional coordinator can be such a rewarding experience: your coordinator helps you tailor your program of study to your own strengths and interests, as well as professional goals and aspirations.
The pre-professional coordinator of each program mentors and assists students in the following ways:
- Helping students choose the professional career that would be most consistent with interests and goals
- Recommending undergraduate program(s) of study that will ensure the completion of appropriate prerequisites for admission to professional school
- Monitoring the academic progress of each student through in-depth, one-on-one advising sessions
- Exploring experiential learning opportunities and securing internships
- Connecting students with Notre Dame alumnae and alumni who currently work in professional career fields
- Connecting students with other Notre Dame faculty who have attended professional schools and worked in the field
- Aiding students in professional school application processes by:
- Conducting pre-professional informational seminars
- Monitoring any changes in professional school admissions requirements
- Providing a timeline for the application process
- Offering guidance on enhancing performance on pre-professional admissions tests, including MCAT, LSAT, and PCAT
- Assisting in securing letters of recommendation
- Improving student interviewing skills through mock interviews with pre-professional committees