ART-411-20, Italian Renaissance Painting (SU15)
INSTRUCTOR: Domenico Firmani
SCHEDULE/DAY/TIME: T1/Tuesdays/6:00-8:45 p.m., 05/26/2015-06/23/2015
A survey of the major painting masters of the Italian Renaissance. Focus will be on the evolution of painting styles from the early fourteenth century to the advent of the Baroque.
1. Learn the major artistic personalities of the Italian Renaissance.
2. Study how regional factors impact on the developing style.
3. Understand the relationship of science to the developing styles.
4. Deal with the radical changes that take place in the early fourteenth century, leaving the Medieval, and in the early sixteenth century, which seems to indicate a return.
1. Class room slide lectures on basic concepts. Student participation.
2. Reading assignments.
REQUIREMENTS AND ASSIGNMENTS:
1. Readings in assigned text.
2. Formal Analysis by student of a painting in the text. - 5%
3. Research paper. - 45%
4. Quiz and final exam. - 5% & 45%
Adams, Laurie Adams. Italian Renaissance Art. Westview Press, 2nd ed., 2014.
RECOMMENDED READINGS OR MATERIALS:
READINGS TO BE COMPLETED PRIOR TO FIRST CLASS:
Read Chapters 1-2 in Adams. Concentrate on the painters Giotto and Duccio, and how the remainder of the fourteenth century develops out of their experiments in Florence and Siena.