COM-313 Digital Media Skills
This course will focus on using social media to enrich your professional experience, with an emphasis on analyzing current social media campaigns and trends, and producing effective visual media that help businesses and non-profits share meaningful stories and communicate their mission and overall brand. [3 credits]
- Use video editing applications, and produce effective videos to communicate a message.
- Discuss and analyze current social media trends, by critically reflecting on the impact this form of communications has on society
- Analyze the efficacy of folksonomies as a way to harness the public’s attention and support towards a message
- Visual Media Analyses (edited video piece that communicates a message)
- Hashtag Case Study (qualitative data analysis)
- Video Storytelling (collection of found media with analysis)
- Participation (in class and online activity)
REQUIRED/RECOMMENDED TEXTBOOK(S) OR MATERIALS:
Access the bookstore website at www.ndm.bncollege.com for textbook information. Students will be responsible for signing up with the Lynda.com tutorials website in order to learn the software needed for this course.
OTHER COURSE INFORMATION:
- This course does not require any assignments prior to the first class.
- This course will foster the meta-skill of applying communications into new media forms in productive, creative, and intelligent ways. Flexibility and the ability to experiment and think critically will be among the most vital abilities that this course will help to foster.
- NOTE: STUDENTS WILL BE EXPECTED TO WORK SEVERAL HOURS EACH WEEK OUTSIDE OF THE CLASS. TIME WILL BE ALLOTTED IN CLASS TO MEET THE SPECIFICATIONS OF THE PROJECTS AND THE TECHNOLOGY, BUT YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO FINISH YOUR ASSIGNMENTS IN CLASS.