CST-355-90, Project Management (SP13)
INSTRUCTOR: Suliat Ogunlende
SCHEDULE/DAY/TIME: Online, 01/28/2013-05/13/2013
As organizations turn towards project to implement new technologies in order to remain competitive and provide the products and services demanded by their customers, the need for personnel with project management skills continues to grow.
This course is designed to prepare students to effectively plan and manage projects, especially those involving Information Systems. We will cover project management as both an art and a science. Managing staff, especially in a matrix organization, along with managing your client’s expectations are two examples of the art craft needed for project management. Meanwhile, developing network diagrams and determining your projects critical path are examples of the science needed to effective manage any project. Of course, there are disciplines within project management that are a blend of art and science such as project estimation. By the end of the term, you will have a firm grasp of the skills needed to manage a project, especially those within Information Technology.
The course provides conceptual and practical knowledge as well as experience that will allow the student to manage projects in any organization. Project management is a necessary skill for everyone. By the end of the course the students will be able to:
- Define a project and the key project management activities.
- Define the roles and responsibilities of the project manager and the project team.
- Define what must be accomplished during the course of a project.
- Define, understand and apply the phases of the Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC).
- Apply project estimating concepts and techniques
- Define the techniques used for executing and controlling projects.
- Develop an understanding of Risk Management techniques
- Prepare a network diagram and determine critical path
- Manage project scope, schedule and budget.
- Gain an understanding of current trends in project management, including Agile methods.
Weekly Articles Discussions
REQUIREMENTS AND ASSIGNMENTS:
Article Presentation 25%
Group Assignments 25%
Mid-term Exam 25%
Final Exam 25%
REQUIRED TEXT(S) OR MATERIALS:
Title: Information Systems Project Management, Author: Avison, David. ISBN: 9781412957021
Publisher: Sage Publications
RECOMMENDED READINGS OR MATERIALS: (N/A)
READINGS AND/OR ASSIGNMENTS TO BE DONE PRIOR TO THE FIRST CLASS: (N/A)