EDU-310-20, Math in Elem School (FA15)
INSTRUCTOR: Lisa Pallett
SCHEDULE/DAY/TIME: Special/Thursdays/6:00-8:15 PM, 9/10/2015-12/03/2015
This course will examine methods for planning and delivering effective instruction in the elementary mathematics classroom. Instruction will focus on the components of effective mathematics instruction, ways to organize time and materials in the classroom, how to relate goals and objectives to long range and daily planning, how to use technology to support mathematics instruction, and ways to assess and evaluate student progress. This course will require lesson planning. Problem solving approaches, authentic tasks, and active learning strategies will be included. This is web-assisted course in which participants will use various websites and Joule for the completion of some assignments.
- Demonstrate an understanding of planning, implementing, and assessing mathematics instruction; (EDO 1-5, InTASC 7).
- Identify and understand NCTM and CCS standards and apply principles and content to the teaching/learning process; (EDO 1, InTASC 1, 2, 5).
- Identify and analyze a variety of approaches to mathematics instruction, problem solving and assessment. Understand the PARCC assessment and implications for instruction. ; (EDO 2, InTASC 4, 5, 6, 8,).
- Relate mathematics resources to appropriate goals and objectives; (EDO 1-5, InTASC 2 and 7).
- Analyze student understanding and identify implications for instruction (InTASC 2, 6, 8).
Lecture; Modeling; Demonstration; Small group work; Class discussions; Student Presentations and Teaching; Reflections and Critiques on Readings
REQUIREMENTS AND ASSIGNMENTS:
- Reading Assignment Questions
- Math Activity
- Math Literature review (2)
- Journal Articles (2)
- Math Lesson Plans (2)
GRADING POLICIES/COURSE EXPECTATIONS:
Reading Assignment Questions - 20 points
Math Activity - 20 points
Math Literature Reviews (2) - 20 points (10 points each)
Journal Article Review (2) - 30 points (15 points each)
Lesson Plans (2) - 60 points (30 points each)
Tests - 50 points (25 points each)
Attendance/ Participation - 20 points
REQUIRED TEXT(S) OR MATERIALS:
Van De Walle, John A. Elementary and Middle School Mathematics: Teaching Developmentally, Eighth Edition. New York: Addison Wesley Longman, 2013
RECOMMENDED READINGS OR MATERIALS:
READINGS AND/OR ASSIGNMENTS TO BE DONE PRIOR TO THE FIRST CLASS: