PED-190-20, Top: Winter Fitness Walking (SP14)
INSTRUCTOR: Melissa Falen (email@example.com; 410-532-3585)
The course meets from 8:30 a.m. - 11:15 a.m. on the following Saturdays: 2/01, 2/08, 2/15, 2/22 & 3/01; Rain Dates (if needed): 3/29 & 4/12
Students will be introduced to the basic fundamentals that are necessary to walk for beneficial aerobic conditioning and exercise.
Note: Cell phone and laptop use is not permitted in class. Cell phones may be brought on walks, but should not be used except in an emergency.
1. Students will be able to identify the basic components of fitness.
2. Students will understand the basic principles of training.
3. Students will be able to identify the proper attire and equipment required for urban and nature walking for exercise.
4. Students will be able to use a pedometer and timer to assess distance, heart rate and pace while walking.
5. Students will demonstrate the ability to successfully complete urban fitness walks of 2-5 miles.
Lecture, discussion, demonstration, and practical experience.
REQUIREMENTS AND ASSIGNMENTS:
-Students are required to meet for 3 to 4 classes off site for the purpose of going on pre-determined walking/hiking routes.
-Students will one written exam.
-Students will have 8 hours of walking, hiking & other experiential activity assignments to complete outside of class.
-Students are required to keep a walking/hiking journal to record walking, hiking and experiential activity assignments.
Grading Scale: Grading Percentage:
90%-100% A 70%- 77% C Attendance/Participation: 25%
88%- 89% B+ 60%- 69% D Quizzes/Tests: 25%
80%- 87% B 0%- 59% F Assignments: 50%
78%- 79% C+
REQUIRED TEXT(S) OR MATERIALS: AUTHOR/TITLE:
Balkan, Evan, ”Walking Baltimore.” Wilderness Press, Birmingham, AL 2013
RECOMMENDED READINGS OR MATERIALS:
READINGS AND/OR ASSIGNMENTS TO BE DONE PRIOR TO THE FIRST CLASS:
-Students should review walk #29 in the text, and be prepared to walk a slightly modified route, beginning and ending on campus, during the first class meeting (app. 2-2.5 miles).
-Students must bring or wear sneakers or comfortable walking shoes.