PED-190-20, Top: Winter Fitness Walking (SP15)
INSTRUCTOR: Melissa Falen (email@example.com; 410-532-3585)
SCHEDULE/DAY/TIME: The course meets from 12:00 p.m. - 2:45 p.m. on the following Sundays: 3/22, 3/29, 4/12, 4/19, 4/26 Rain Dates (if needed): 5/3
Students will be introduced to the basic fundamentals that are necessary to play the game of disc golf. Students will receive instruction about basic rules, etiquette, equipment, and skills. Note: Cell phone and laptop use is not permitted in class.
1. Students will be able to demonstrate a basic knowledge of the rules and etiquette of disc golf.
2. Students will be able to demonstrate a fundamentally correct backhand and forehand throw.
3. Students will possess a basic knowledge of the difference in discs (driver, mid-range, and putter), and be able to identify, in general, the appropriate disc to use in a given situation.
4. Students will be able to play and score at least nine holes on a public course.
5. Students will be able to identify and define the basic terms used in disc golf.
Lecture, discussion, demonstration, & practical experience.
REQUIREMENTS AND ASSIGNMENTS:
-Students are required to play a minimum of nine holes of golf at a public disc golf course at a two designated times during the semester.
-Students are required to meet for 2 classes off site, details and directions will be distributed at the first -class meeting.
-Students will have one final written exam.
-Students will have 8 hours of practice & experiential activity assignments to complete outside of class.
-Students will be assessed on their performance of basic disc golf skills
Grading Scale: Grading Percentage:
90%-100% A 70%- 77% C Attendance/Participation: 25%
88%- 89% B+ 60%- 69% D Quizzes/Tests: 25%
80%- 87% B 0%- 59% F Skills Assessment: 25%
78%- 79% C+ Assignments: 25%
REQUIRED TEXT(S) OR MATERIALS:
The Official Rules of Disc Golf, The Professional Disc Golf Association (PDGA), 2013 (or later).
READINGS AND/OR ASSIGNMENTS TO BE DONE PRIOR TO THE FIRST CLASS: