PED-233-20, Thry/Prac Wgt Training (SP14)
INSTRUCTOR: Melissa Falen
The course will introduce the student to the basic principles and practices of weight training. Students will also be introduced to basic nutritional and diet guidelines.
CELL PHONE AND LAPTOP USE IS NOT PERMITTED DURING CLASS!!!!!
1. Students will learn and demonstrate the basic skills and knowledge required to safely exercise using standard weight training machines.
2. Students will learn and demonstrate the basic skills and knowledge required to safely exercise using standard free weights.
3. Students will use apply the principles of weight training in developing an appropriate weight training program based on personal goals.
4. Students will demonstrate the ability to assess their daily diets.
5. Students will develop an appreciation for the benefits of weight training and healthy eating habits.
Lecture, demonstration, instructional video, and supervised training will be the prevalent methods of teaching.
REQUIREMENTS AND ASSIGNMENTS:
-Students will prepare and demonstrate both a strength and endurance weight training program.
-Students will complete a nutritional assignment analyzing their daily diets.
-Students will complete a final assignment designing an individualized goal-centered training program which addresses appropriate components of fitness and incorporating the basic principle of training. Weekly quizzes and a final exam will be given. Other assignments will include assigned readings and preparing information to reference in class discussion.
Absences will be reflected in grading due to the participatory nature of this course.
A minimum grade average of 60% is needed to pass the course.
Participation & Weekly Assignments - 33.33%
Nutrition and Weight Training Program Assignments - 33.33%
Quizzes/Tests - 33.33%
Participation & Weekly Assignments: 100 points
Nutrition Assignment: 50 points
Weight Training Program Assignment: 50 points
Quizzes/Tests: 100 points
270- 300 = A; 264- 269 = B+; 240- 263 = B; 234- 239 = C+; 210- 233 = C; 180 -209 = D; 0 – 179 = F
REQUIRED TEXT(S) OR MATERIALS:
The student is expected to read all handouts distributed in class. It is required that the student have access to a copy of “Weight Training for Life” by James Hesson, which is available in the bookstore.
READINGS AND/OR ASSIGNMENTS TO BE DONE PRIOR TO THE FIRST CLASS: