How to Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool
Note to dependent students: this process must be completed for both the parent and the student.
- Go to www.fafsa.gov
- Click Login
- Enter student's first name, last name, SSN, and date of birth
- Click Next
- The next page will say My FAFSA and Welcome! At the bottom of this page, choose Make FAFSA Corrections.
- On the next page enter your PIN number and create a password. Then click NEXT.
- The next page will say Introduction Page - 2014-2015 Corrections. At the top of this page, click on the option for Financial Information.
- On the Financial Information page, you must answer the question "For 2013, have you completed your IRS Income tax return or another tax return?" Choose the option Already Completed from the drop down box.
- You must answer NO to the following questions in order for the IRS tool to work. Note: the first two question are only asked if your marital status is married:
Did you or your spouse file as Married Filing Separately? > No
Did you or your spouse file as Head of Household? > No
Did you file and amended tax return? > No
Did you file a Puerto Rican or foreign tax return? > No
Did you file your taxes electronically in the last 3 weeks (or by mail in the last 8 weeks)? > No
- If all questions are answered NO, you should see this message: Based on your response we recommend that you transfer your information from the IRS into your FAFSA.
- Click on the LINK TO IRS Option.
- You will then see Leaving FAFSA on the Web message, click OK.
- You will see a message from the U.S. government about authorized use, click OK .
- At the IRS page Get My Federal Income Tax Information, you must select your 2013 Filing Status from the drop down box and you must enter your address exactly as it appears on your tax return. Then click Submit.
- Your IRS data will appear along with corresponding FAFSA questions.
- Check the box for Transfer My Tax Information into the FAFSA and click on the Transfer Now option.
- The page will be redirected to your FAFSA application and you will need to click NEXT at the bottom of the next several pages.
- You should receive this message: You have successfully transferred your 2013 IRS tax information.
- And then this message: You corrected your FAFSA. Review the information on this page and click Next to sign and submit your corrections.
- Enter your PIN number (required for both student and parent, if dependent), choose Agree option, and click SUBMIT MY FAFSA NOW.
- View your Confirmation Page and look for an email confirmation as well.