Applicants Requiring an F-1 Student Visa
International students interested in studying full-time must receive an F-1 student visa. The first step in the process is to be accepted by the ELI.
Applying to ELI:
Send a completed student application to the ELI, along with:
- Official high school (secondary school) or college transcript with ENGLISH translation
- Passport-size photo
- Proof of financial support (original bank statement in English and U.S. dollars with letter of sponsorship)
- Completed Health/TB and Meningococcal form (if the student wishes to live on campus)
- $60 application fee*
- $80 express mail fee (if the I-20 will be mailed to a foreign address)*
- $100 non-refundable housing deposit (if the student wishes to live on campus)*
*Fees can be paid by check, money order, credit card (Visa, MasterCard or Discover), or wire transfer. Checks and money orders should be made payable to Notre Dame of Maryland University. To wire money, please use the following information, and e-mail us at ELI@ndm.edu when the wire is sent.
Bank: M&T Bank, Baltimore, Maryland
Account Name: Notre Dame of Maryland University
Account #: 19150050
Swift Code: MANTUS33
Once accepted to ELI, the student must apply for an F-1 Student Visa. For more information on visas, visit our visa information page.
Once we receive a complete application, it will take up to ten days to process. We will create an official acceptance package, along with an I-20 form.
The visa application process can be started as soon as the acceptance package is received.
- Pay the SEVIS fee.
- Make an appointment for a visa interview with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the student’s home country. MAKE AN APPOINTMENT AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE. It may take several weeks to get an appointment.
On the day of the interview, all immigration documents should be brought to the Embassy, including the 1-20 generated by the ELI. The student should be prepared to answer questions about the purpose of stay in the U.S. For more information from the U.S. State Department, visit their Visas website.