Hattie M. Strong Foundation Scholarship
The Hattie M. Strong Foundation has once again selected Notre Dame of Maryland University to be the recipient of six (6) scholarships, to be awarded to School of Education student teachers who are interning during the fall 2016 semester or during the spring 2017 semester.
This first round of applications will be limited to those interning in fall 2016; a second round of applications (to be announced in January) will be limited to those interning in spring 2017.
As an added bonus, award winners will also be eligible for a renewable $500 grant from the Strong Foundation to procure instructional materials for their classroom in fall 2017.
The awards will be granted based upon the following criteria in descending order of importance:
- Interns in their final year of study
- Undergraduate interns who have exhibited outstanding success and enthusiasm in field experiences prior to the final year of the program or graduate interns whose life experiences prior to enrollment reveal the same traits
- Interns with demonstrated financial need
- Interns who have achieved a minimum 3.0 GPA in the two semesters prior to their final year (for undergraduates)
- Interns who are demonstrating outstanding teaching ability in their internship experience
- Interns who clearly understand the significant role they must play in promoting student achievement
How to Apply
In total, four items are required for an applicant to receive consideration:
- Online Application
- Online Reference Form (Completed by the intern's mentor teacher)
- One-page Resume (Emailed to email@example.com)
- Essay - 350 Word limit, Double Spaced (Emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org)
Explain: ''How, as a teacher or intern, you were able to assess, prescribe for and impact a student or group of students with whom you have worked. Describe this impact in terms of student achievement and learning goals. Please also provide a brief explanation as to why you are pursuing a career in teaching and why this scholarship is so important to your future.”
All four items must be submitted/received no later than 4:00 PM on Friday, March 10, 2017 to Dr. Gary Thrift at email@example.com.
If you have any questions, contact:
School of Education Chair
Promise for Tomorrow Scholarship
The Alumnae and Alumni in Education—Promise for Tomorrow Scholarship rewards young women entering Notre Dame's Women's College who are committed to the University's ideals of academic excellence and women's leadership and service to the community.