Wakoh Shannon Hickey
Assistant Professor - Religious Studies
- Doctor of Philosophy in Religion and Modernity, Duke University, 2008.
- Master of Divinity, Pacific School of Religion, May 2003.
- Master of Arts, Pacific School of Religion, May 2001.
- Bachelor of Arts with High Distinction, University of California at Berkeley, Political Science, 1986. U.C. Regents Scholar, Phi Beta Kappa.
Ordained as a priest of the Soto school of Japanese Zen Buddhism in 2003, after 20 years of practice. Completed Shuso training in 2010.
Certified InterPlay® Leader, November 2014. InterPlay is a group creative process that builds connection, community, and ease through improvisational storytelling, music-making, movement, stillness, and play.
Research and Interests:
- American religious history, particularly metaphysical and African American traditions, and women leaders
- Buddhisms, particularly modernist Buddhism in East Asia and the West
- Religion and medicine
- Interfaith dialogue, especially Buddhist-Christian dialogue
- Contemplative pedagogies
- Theories of religion and ritual
- American Academy of Religion
- Soto Zen Buddhist Association
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Theta Alpha Kappa (honor society in religion and theology)
- Association for Contemplative Mind in Higher Education,
- InterPlay® Leaders Circle