School of Nursing University Academic Building (UAB) 207D MOconnor@ndm.edu 410-532-5585
School of Nursing
- Doctor of Philosophy, Nursing Administration, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA, 2005
- MS, Nursing Administration, Northeastern University, Boston, MA 1997
- BS, Nursing, ExcelsiorCollege, (formerly RegentsCollege) Albany, NY 1994
- AAS Nursing, DutchessCommunity College, Poughkeepsie, New York 1978
- Fellow of American College of Healthcare Executives, 2008, 2011, 2014
Areas of Interest
- Nursing Leadership Education
- Nursing Administrative Practice
- Caring Science Curriculum
- Circle Practice
- Relationship Based Care/Patient and Family Centered Care
- O’Connor, M. and Cohen, E.L. (2016). Nursing leadership for the continuum of care. Guest editors Nursing administration quarterly, 40,(2).
- O’Connor, M. (2016). Relationships and reflection: Teaching leadership practices. Voice of nursing leadership,14,(2), 4-5.
- Batchler, J. and O’Connor, M. (2015). The Resilient Nurse Leader. Guest editors Nursing administration quarterly, 39,(2).
- O’Connor, M. and Batchler, J. (2015). The Resilient Nurse Leader: Reinvention after Experiencing Job Loss. Nursing administration quarterly, 39,(2), 123-131.
- O’Connor, M (2014, September). Understanding and engaging generations in the workplace. Voice of nursing leadership, 10-11.
- O’Connor, M (2014). Developing leaders for tomorrow: Succession planning for nurse managers. Voice of nursing leadership, 12,(2), 14-15.
- O’Connor, M (2013). Reflection as a self-care strategy. Voice of nursing leadership, 11,(4), 8-9.
- O’Connor, M. (2013). Communication: Essential strategies for success. Journal of Nursing Administration, 43,(6),323-325.
- O’Connor, M. (2013). Listening to the Cellist, the Dressmaker, and the Chef: Knowing Caring through Literature and other Arts. The 34th International Association for Human Caring Conference Magic, Mystery, and Miracles – Embracing the Difference Caring Makes in Nursing Practice, Education, and Research (podium presentation), May 29-June 1, 2013, Orlando, FL.
- O'Connor, M. (2012). The Aesthetic Way of Knowing: Creating Art of Nursing Theory. The 33rd International Association for Human Caring Conference Caring Connections: Research, Practice, Education (podium presentation), May 30-June 2, 2012, Philadelphia, PA.
- O'Connor, M. (2011). Beyond the classroom: Nurse leader preparation and practices. Nursing administration quarterly, 35,(4),333-337.
- O’Connor, M. (2008). The dimensions of leadership: A foundation for caring competency. Nursing administration quarterly, 32(1), 21-26.
- O'Connor, M. (2006). Cultivating the leader within. Nurse leader, 4(6), 17-19.
- O’Connor, M. (2003). A look at nursing leadership through the lens of a dancer. Nursing Forum, 38, (1), 23-28.
- O’Connor, M. (2002). On Nursing Leadership. (poetry) Journal of Nursing Administration, 32, (1),15.
- O’Connor, M. (2002). Nurse Leader: Heal Thyself. Nursing Administration Quarterly, 26, (2), 69-79.
- Doctoral Dissertation: The Center for Nursing Leadership: A qualitative study describing the impact and meaning of life changes of individual members. 2005
- Meaning of Caring as experienced through the arts: A qualitative study of freshman pre-nursing students as they reflect their ideas of caring through literature and art. 2013
- The Resilient Nurse Leader: Reinvention after Experiencing Job Loss: A qualitative study describing the meaning of unexpected job loss for nurse leaders. 2014