Position: Student Laboratory Assistant
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences – Medicinal Chemistry Laboratory
Supervisor(s): Paulo Carvalho, Dr. Culhane.
Funding Source: Federal Work Study (FWS) Program
Harrison Fowler - Program Coordinator in the Financial Aid Office
(410)532-5749 - firstname.lastname@example.org
Work Schedule: To be determined with the supervisors, contingent to the Student’s academic
schedule, up to 20 hours per week.,
A Student Laboratory Assistant will report to the laboratory supervisor and the Department Chair. The purpose of the position is to offer help with general tasks in an Organic Medicinal Chemistry laboratory and the tasks should be easily accomplished by a Chemistry or Biology Sophomore. The Student Laboratory Assistant will be expected to consistently be on time, work independently if necessary, be reliable, self-motivated, detail-oriented, and have a good chemistry background.
Duties, Responsibilities, and Other Job Related Information:
A Student Laboratory Assistant will be required to:
- Help out with lab preparation (preparing solutions, keeping labs clean and stocked with necessary chemicals and supplies, removing chemical waste);
- Maintain chemical inventories, keep the stockroom organized, and wash glassware;
- Assist with lab research;
- Maintain a safe environment in laboratory and stockrooms;
- Perform delegated duties as requested.
- At least 1 semester of College Chemistry, including laboratory or the equivalent experience. More advanced coursework in Biology or Chemistry is preferred but not required.
- Risk Management Safety Training Course (to be completed after hire)
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel
- Physical Requirements:
- Periodically spend extended periods of time standing;
No known allergies to chemicals and strong odors.