Undergraduate students studying abroad for a semester or academic year may apply all of their federal, state, institutional financial aid to Notre Dame-sponsored programs abroad. Consult the Financial Aid Office to verify your eligibility before you submit your study abroad application. Students pay Notre Dame tuition, room and board. Students may apply for both internal and external scholarship programs for both short- and long-term study abroad opportunities. Consult the Director for International Education about available funding opportunities.
The Gilman Program
The U.S. Department of State’s Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship is a grant program that enables undergraduate students of limited financial means to study or intern abroad. Contact the Director for International Education for questions and assistance with the application process.
To be eligible for a Gilman Scholarship, an applicant must:
- Be a citizen of the United States;
- Be an undergraduate student in good standing at an accredited institution of higher education in the United States (including both two-year and four-year institutions);
- Be receiving a Federal Pell Grant or provide proof that he/she will be receiving a Pell Grant during the term of his/her study abroad program or internship;
- Be in the process of applying to, or accepted for, a study abroad or internship program of at least two weeks for community college students and four weeks for students from four-year institutions, in a single country and eligible for credit from the student’s home institution. Proof of program acceptance is required prior to award disbursement;
- Be proposing to study in a country not currently under a Travel Warning issued by the United States Department of State or otherwise determined ineligible for program participation.
NDMU Study Abroad Scholarships
This award is intended to foster programs that will enhance the experience of a student of Latin or classics at Notre Dame of Maryland University. In the past it has been used to fund student attendance of the Annual Convention of Eta Sigma Phi, National Classical Honor Society and to make possible important academic experiences in our 2013 program in Britain that would be too costly do include without additional financial help, i.e., a guided visit of Fishbourne Palace, an archaeological site near Chichester, and the Corinium Museum in Cirencester. It may also be used to send students to professional meetings or on short-term experiences treating ancient Greek or Roman civilization.
Established by Notre Dame to honor a long-time classics professor, the award supports students who have completed or are currently enrolled in at least two or more courses in Latin, Greek or classics and who indicate a high level of interest in an archaeology program abroad, preferable a Notre Dame-sponsored archaeological tour.For details, contact the Office of International Programs in the Feeley International Center Room 016.
Established by Notre Dame to honor professor emeritus Dr. Jeanne Stevenson and the memory of Kate Copeland '92, the award supports full-time undergraduate students from College of Notre Dame of Maryland who are participating in a Notre Dame sponsored study abroad program (short-term or semester). For details, contact the Office of International Programs in the Feeley International Center Room 016.
ISA Program Scholarships
ISA offers approximately $150,000 in scholarships to participating students each year through its scholarship program and several host universities.
Study Abroad Scholarship Databases
In addition to the scholarships listed, we highly recommend you do additional research for additional opportunities. The following links are a good place to start, but there are many online resources available.
- IIEPassport Study Abroad Funding: Free online database of study abroad scholarships, fellowships, and grants.
- Scholarships 4 Development: List of international scholarships for people who seek global and national development through further education.
- International Financial Aid and College Scholarship Search (IEFA): General listing of scholarship opportunities searchable by country, academic plans, and demographics.
- Studyabroad.com: Scholarship List and guide to scholarships and aid for studying abroad.
- Diversityabroad.com: International Scholarships & Fellowship Directory.
- University of Minnesota: Database of scholarships available to Non UOM students. Searchable by country, eligibility and demographic.
- GoOverseas 65 Scholarships Blog