- StudyAbroad.com Handbook - useful information for those planning to travel or study abroad
- Transitions Abroad - bimonthly guide to practical information on affordable alternatives to mass tourism: living, working, studying, or vacationing alongside the people of the host country
- GoAbroad.com - comprehensive international education and alternative travel databases
In addition to some of the largest directories of study, work, internship, volunteer and travel databases GoAbroad.com provides extensive information about insurance, accommodations, travel guides and Embassy directories.
Currency converters can be used to calculate conversion rates for currencies from more than one hundred countries.
Many countries have extensive networks of ATMs where you can withdraw cash from your home account in the local currency. Both Mastercard and Visa offer ATM locator services.
Health & Safety Tips
The health and safety of study abroad participants is of primary concern to faculty, staff, families and students alike.
Pre-departure orientation sessions are required for all students and travelers on semester and short-term programs abroad sponsored by Notre Dame of Maryland University. Practical health and safety information, emergency preparedness plans and identifying modes of communication are part of the pre-departure program.
The United States government publishes materials about safety and health issues in countries around the world. Review the United States Department of State travel warnings, announcements and information sheets for every country in the world.
An important function of the U.S. Department of State's website is secure online travel registration, through the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, which will allow American citizens to record foreign trip and residence information that the Department of State can use to communicate with you and assist you in case of an emergency.
The Center for Disease Control publishes health information and details about recommended and required vaccinations for visitors to countries around the world.
Couseling & Care for Travelers
To locate a medical clinic that specializes in counseling and care for travelers, visit the Directory of Travel Medicine Providers. The directory includes U.S.-based providers as well as English-speaking health care professionals throughout the world.
- AESU is one of the most popular ways for young people to discover Europe with their peers. AESU Travel Firm offers great deals on vacation or educational travel for students.
- STA Travel is a full-service travel agency that specializes in student travel. Their website is full of essential information for the independent traveler.
- All you need to know about rail travel through Europe is available at Europe On Rail. Rail is one of the easiest ways to travel in Europe.
Government Sites for Travelers
- The United States Department of State offers information about passports including applications, as well as information about visa requirements for U.S. citizens traveling abroad.
- The United States Customs Service website details exactly what goods can be brought into the United States by U.S. residents returning from overseas.
- The Electronic Embassy provides information on each of the embassies in Washington D.C., with links to web-based resources where available.
Office of International Programs
If you have questions or would like to set up an appointment, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sister Kathleen Feeley International Center
College of Notre Dame of Maryland
4701 North Charles Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21210