NDMU logo
2019

2019 – Lacrosse wins CSAC championship and heads to NCAA tournament

NDMU launches its 125th anniversary celebrations at Reunion Weekend

2018

Women’s College reaches record enrollment of 538 students, the highest since 2006

NDMU becomes first Maryland university to offer art therapy bachelors and master’s degrees

Launch of the Women’s Leadership Institute of Baltimore (WLIB)

Volleyball wins conference championship in the Colonial States Athletic Conference (CSAC) and heads to NCAA tournament

2017

NDMU becomes first Maryland university to join the Small World Initiative, which serves to support and source the discovery of new antibiotics

2016

NDMU becomes first Maryland university to receive non-governmental organization (NGO) status from the United Nations

NDMU launches WOW (Women of the World) Baltimore and becomes one of two hosts in the nation

The University offers the first fully online programs

2015

NDMU’s Visiting Ambassadors Program launched welcoming Romanian Ambassador Simona-Mirela Miculescu to campus

2014

Maryland’s first Bonner Leaders program launched, pairing students with community organizations for all four years of college

2013

The official mascot is redesigned and named “Gabby the Gator”

2011

University status is granted to Notre Dame and the name is changed from College of Notre Dame of Maryland to Notre Dame of Maryland University

First Impressions program begins, helping students prepare for professional life

2010

Trailblazers Program, designed for first-generation students in navigating the college experience, begins

2009

The Schools of Arts and Sciences, Education, and Pharmacy established

2005

The Honorable Kathleen “Katy” O’Ferrall Friedman ’62 – First lay Chair of the Board of Trustees

2004

First Ph.D. program introduced: Instructional Leadership for Changing Populations

2003

Beginning of the Accelerated College Program

The Busta Forum (Busta Lecture Series) is created, specifically designed to highlight the experiences of women business leaders

1995

100th anniversary of the college celebrated

1989

The Renaissance Institute for lifelong learning opens

1984

Initiation of Graduate Studies Program, offering Master of Arts degree in management

1983

The English Language Institute and the post-baccalaureate certificate are established

1982

Elizabeth Morrissy Honors Program established

1980

The Gator becomes the official college mascot

1975

Mother Teresa of Calcutta visits campus to celebrate International Women’s Year and the “Weekend College” opens for women and men

1973

Dedication of the Loyola Notre Dame Library

1972

The Continuing Education Program for non-traditional college students launches

1967

Dedication of Knott Science Center (classrooms, laboratories and auditorium)

1959

Opening of Doyle Hall (residence and dining hall)

1941

Construction of Fourier Hall (original use: library and classrooms)

1936

Introduction of the student Honor Code

1933

Notre Dame’s student newspaper, Columns, releases its first issue

1926

Construction of LeClerc Hall (original use: auditorium, gymnasium, swimming pool, bowling alley, music studio)

1924

Maryland grants certification in teaching to graduates completing prescribed education courses

1923

Damozel, Notre Dame’s literary magazine, is launched (first in yearbook form, then later into magazine format)

1910

Construction of College Hall, now Mary Meletia Hall (original use: residence and dining hall, administrative offices, classrooms, library and laboratories)

1904

National Catholic Educational Association recognizes Notre Dame as a Catholic Institution of higher learning

1899

June 14, six young women receive their baccalaureate degrees from James Cardinal Gibbons. Charles Bonaparte, grandnephew of Napoleon and later U.S. Secretary of the Navy and Attorney General, delivers the Commencement address

1895

The Collegiate Institute of Notre Dame begins offering a four-year baccalaureate degree and Mother M. Theophila Bauer, SSND is appointed the college’s first president