Govans Elementary is a neighborhood charter school, one of five in Baltimore that is under the Baltimore Curriculum Project (BCP) umbrella.
- Govans has over 30 community partners, including NDMU.
- More than 80% of the staff at Govans has been at the school for 10 years or more.
- Transitioning from elementary to middle school, students at Govans have over 80% success rate of acceptance into their middle school of choice.
- Govans Elementary School has been designated as a Title I School, receiving financial assistance to support the academic achievement of disadvantaged students.
New School Building
Govans Elementary is scheduled to be rebuilt as a 21st Century School over the next two years. During the interim period between schools, 2019-2021, Govans Elementary will be operating in a swing space, the former Chinquapin Middle School Building. Completion time for the new building is December 2021. In the meantime, however, YES Program volunteer will be kept updated to site and schedule changes that could impact their service.
Tunbridge Public Charter School
Tunbridge Public Charter School, founded in 2010, is operated by Afya Baltimore Inc. (ABI). Tunbridge is an elementary/middle school located on York Road in the Govans neighborhood.
- Tunbridge serves approximately 475 students between Pre-k and 8th grade.
- Focused on educating the whole child, the Tunbridge mission is to teach Baltimore’s children to live healthy, balanced lives: intellectually, socially/emotionally, and physically.
In 2020, Tunbridge PCS will celebrate its 10th anniversary as a public charter school.
5504 York Rd, Baltimore, MD 21212
Principal: Sheila Adams