Most students in the English Language Institute live with family or friends in Baltimore City or surrounding counties. If you do not have family or friends in the area, you can either live on campus or rent your own apartment nearby.

On-Campus Housing

Men and women may live on campus at the University in the Residence Halls. We offer double and single rooms. Rooms in both residence halls, Doyle Hall and Meletia Hall, have beds, closets, desks, phones and wireless internet access. Men and women live in different areas in the buildings. They have separate bathrooms that are shared by gender. Washing machines and clothes dryers are available in the residence halls. Rooms for men are very limited. Please check with our office to make sure we can accommodate your request.


On-campus housing includes a full meal plan with breakfast, lunch and dinner every day during the week. On Saturdays and Sundays, brunch and dinner are available. Meals are served in Doyle Dining Hall. In addition to the full meal plan, resident students will also receive debit dollars on their ID card to purchase items in Gator Alley, an on-campus snack bar.

Move-In & Holidays

Students may move in the weekend before the session begins and must leave the weekend after their last session ends. Resident students should email us the date they plan to arrive. The residence halls are closed during the Christmas holidays in December, and for 3 weeks in August between the Summer session and the Fall I session. Students must find their own place to stay during these times. Home stays during breaks are not available through the ELI.

Health Requirements

All students who live on campus MUST meet health requirements BEFORE coming to campus. All resident students must bring a CERTIFIED document in English from their physician showing NEGATIVE test results. This is very important. Students who do not submit this form will not be allowed to live on campus.

Request Housing

To request a room, please fill in the appropriate information on the application form and send a $100 deposit with your application. The deposit will be used to reserve the room for you. When you move into the dorm room, the $100 deposit will be applied to your room charge.

Off-Campus Housing

The ELI cannot find apartments for students or provide home stay opportunities, however, we are more than happy to provide information about local housing opportunities.

The University is located a few miles from downtown Baltimore in the Homeland neighborhood. Many students live in a nearby neighborhood called Charles Village which is very close to the University and on the number 11 bus line which passes in front of the University. Students also live in the towns of Towson and Mount Vernon. They are also on the number 11 bus line. The University is in the north part of the city in a residential neighborhood. The downtown area is further south. We suggest that students try to find a place to live in the north part of the city if possible.

Most apartments require at least a one-year lease or contract and come unfurnished. It is possible to find furnished apartments and lease for less than one year, but the rent is usually higher.

To find off-campus housing, students may check advertisements in local newspapers and other rental publications. You can also look for apartments on the sites below. A helpful guide to internet providers, utility companies and more can be found at