The entire campus community is encouraged to submit nominations for the common reading each September. An interdisciplinary group consisting of faculty members, staff, and students review the nominations and feedback and select the piece of work based on the following criteria:
- Consistent with the mission of the University
- Raises issues related to gender and global perspectives
- The topic is broad enough for the widest range of disciplines to apply their specific approaches to the exploration of the piece of work and to provide an infrastructure for interdisciplinary inquiry and discussion
- Accessible for first year students in terms of interest and level of academic difficulty
- Lends itself to related activities such as service experiences, artistic projects, residence hall activities, etc.
- A reasonable chance that the author would be able to visit campus