Ph.D. in Instructional Leadership for Changing Populations
Use your education to help your students understand the world around them.
The Ph.D. in Instructional Leadership for Changing Populations is designed to prepare graduates to provide instructional leadership for linguistically and culturally nonmainstream learners.
The driving purpose of the program is to use relevant contemporary scholarship to create an environment that improves the academic performance of all students, in particular that of new learners.
The program requires a knowledge core, a research core, comprehensive examinations and a formal dissertation. Benchmarks for student progress through each of the stages of the program are given below. Progress toward completion of these benchmarks will be monitored by the Ph.D. Academic Standards Committee.
Phase I (30 credits)
- admission and successful completion of EDU-543 Reading, Analyzing and Interpreting Education Research (3 credits)
- the Language and Learning Core (12 credits)
- an additional 15 credits
Advancement to Degree Candidacy (30 credits)
- successful completion of remaining course requirement and preparation for comprehensive examinations
- successful completion of comprehensive examinations and advancement to the dissertation stage
- successful completion of the Dissertation Seminar, the dissertation, and defense of the dissertation
Offered on the main campus in Baltimore and at the Southern Maryland Higher Education Center in California, Md.
Information sessions are scheduled regularly to provide an overview of the Ph.D. program and admission requirements. Sessions are scheduled at the main campus and at the Southern Maryland Higher Education Center. Check back for upcoming information sessions.
Students must provide:
- Application Packet
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Personal Statement
- Scores from the Miller Analogies Test or the Graduate Record Examinations
Application deadlines are February 15 for the Fall Semester and August 1 for the Spring Semester.
For more information, contact: