1. File a 2016–17 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
To be awarded Federal financial aid, we must receive valid FAFSA results from Department of Education before award consideration.
2. Complete your financial aid file.
You will be notified via your Notre Dame email if you must submit additional documents. You must visit WebAdvisor to check if you have any missing documents.
3. Enroll at least half–time (5 credits for Pharmacy students, 6 credits for all others) for Summer 2016 AND Fall 2016.
Exceptions to fall half-time enrollment requirement:
A portion of a student's annual financial aid is available for the summer if the student is enrolled at least half-time throughout the entire summer semester. (In some cases, Federal Pell Grant may be awarded if enrollment is less than half-time.)
*Undergraduate students must enroll for undergraduate credits and graduate students must enroll for graduate credits each semester.
4. Receive email notification that your 2016-2017 financial aid award is ready for view.
Beginning in mid-May, returning students who are meeting SAP and who have complete financial aid files will begin receiving notification via NDM email that their financial aid awards for fall 2016 and spring 2017 are available for view on WebAdvisor.
5. Submit a Summer Financial Aid Request Form if you wish to have a portion of your Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan eligibility allotted for summer. Undergraduate students who are Pell grant eligible will also receive a portion of the annual Pell grant allotment for summer.
Exceptions: the following groups of students are not required to submit a Summer Aid Request Form:
6. Submit applications/required forms for other types of aid you wish to receive in the summer:
7. Monitor your NDM email - after your financial aid award has been revised to include summer 2016, you will receive an email notification.
If you are eligible for a federal Pell Grant, you will receive a federal Pell Grant based on your summer enrollment. In some cases, the Pell grant is awarded for less-than-half-time enrollment. No summer aid request form is required for students who only receive Pell grant in the summer.
The TEACH grant is available for the summer for eligible students. TEACH grant applications must be submitted by August 1.
Summer 2016 Federal Direct Loan disbursements will reduce your remaining loan availability for Fall 2016 and Spring 2017 . Generally, your Loans will be divided into three equal disbursements for Summer 2016, Fall 2016 and Spring 2017. If you plan to enroll less than half-time for the fall and/or spring semesters, you should contact your financial aid counselor for more information.
Students that don’t qualify for federal assistance could apply for an alternative loan to cover summer expenses. Please check the private loan page for more details.