Leadership in Teaching: STEM
- School of Education
- Education Department
The Master of Arts Leadership in Teaching: STEM program offers a dynamic array of courses that are not available at other institutions. We focus on increasing the skills and knowledge of teachers while building their capacity to teach using STEM pedagogy and resources by providing hands-on, problem-based situations.
As a student in this program, you will be able to:
- Apply STEM pedagogical concepts in Design, Technology and Engineering Education in STEM focused curricular models.
- Design instructional environments that accommodate inquiry-based pedagogies, meet institutional goals of sustainability, are welcoming destinations, and support interdisciplinary collaborations.
- Develop scientific critical thinking skills through reading and analyzing environmental information in both mass media and research journal articles.
- Demonstrate a variety of skills necessary to conduct original research using sampling protocols and equipment, as well as the ability to apply mathematical or statistical approaches involved in data analysis and in interpreting various types of information.
At the completion of the program, you will be able to:
- Graduates of the STEM program will be able to design and conduct a research study.
- Graduates of the STEM program will be able to create transdisciplinary curricula to support student learning.
- Graduates of the STEM program will be able to collaborate as an interdisciplinary team.
- Graduates of the STEM program will be able to apply transdisciplinary connections that exist between all content areas (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics, Fine Arts, Social Studies and English) to answer complex questions and to develop solutions for real world problems.
EDU-557 Leadership Seminar I (3)
EDU-567 Learning Theory and Practice (3)
PHY-560 Physics for Teachers K-8 (3)
CHM-560 Chemistry for Teachers K-8 (3)
EDST-500 Introduction to Design, Technology, and Engineering: Content and Instruction Strategies (3)
PHY-561 Space and Earth Science for Teachers K-8 (3)
BIO-560 Biology for Teachers K-8: The Cell, Inheritance and Evolution (3)
EDST-501 Exploration in Design, Technology, and Engineering: Content and Instruction Strategies (3)
ENV-560 Sustainability for Teachers K-8 (3)
EDST-502 Application of Design, Technology, and Engineering: Content and Instruction Strategies (3)
EDST-503 Practicum: STEM for Teachers K-8 (3)
EDST-504 STEM Curriculum Development (3)
What to Expect Studying at Notre Dame of Maryland University
With award-winning teacher certification programs nationally recognized by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education, you can expect to benefit from small class sizes, expert faculty, and practical field experiences.
Flexible Class Schedules
Work with an advisor to develop a personalized program plan:
- Courses offered in the evenings at times convenient for working adults.
- Occasional courses available on Saturdays or online.