In addition to general graduate admission requirements, applicants to the Master of Arts in Art Therapy program must have:
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA from undergraduate degree
- Completed required prerequisite courses
- 18+ Credit Hours in Studio Art: including drawing (3), painting (3), and ceramics or photography (3)
- 12+ Credit Hours in Psychology: including child/adolescent or human development and abnormal psychology; and,
At least 12 hours of studio art and at least 9 hours of psychology must be completed prior to admission with the remaining credit hours completed within the first year of enrollment in the program.
Application materials should be submitted to:
Notre Dame of Maryland University
Theresa Hall 001
4701 North Charles St.
Baltimore, Maryland 21210
2. Official Transcript(s)
Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate coursework should be sent directly to NDMU. Official e-transcripts are accepted if sent directly from the school attended to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students with degrees from universities outside of the United States should submit an official course by course evaluated transcript. Learn more at World Education Services (WES).
Note: Students with a graduate degree from a foreign university are not automatically admitted. They may be invited to take one or more of the admissions tests in order to advance their candidacy for admission, especially programs with an admissions cap.
Please address one of the following questions for your 300-500 word essay:
- Pursuing a graduate program is a challenge that requires perseverance, good judgment and flexibility. Please provide an example of how you have exercised these three traits in your life.
- Today's workforce requires employees to work collaboratively. Please provide us with an example of how you have worked with a team towards a goal.
- What were the challenges involved?
- What were the accomplishments?
- Finally, what did you learn from the work?
If contacted for an interview, applicant will be expected to then provide the following:
1. Statement of Purpose
A statement of purpose in APA format detailing:
- Affinity for working with people
- Motivation for pursuing career in art therapy
- Personal meaning of art and/or creativity in the candidate’s life
- Creative strengths and areas of anticipated growth
Note: This statement of purpose is in addition to the general essay required for the Graduate Application.
2. Two Letters of Recommendation
3. Art Porfolio for Review
Portfolio to include: minimum of 15 pieces reflecting knowledge of a range of materials (two and three dimensional media) and techniques. Actual works or high resolution photos of work acceptable. Expressive work and those not exclusively created as assignments preferred.
These admissions requirements are consistent with the standards set forth by the American Art Therapy Association Accreditation Council for Art Therapy Education and Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs.