We are dedicated to supporting the campus community and being a strategic partner to help other departments meet their objectives. As a result of these partnerships, our professional development opportunities create a workplace that is efficient, effective, and a good steward of resources.
Training & Development Offerings
Due to COVID-19, our campus remains on modified schedules and reduced occupancies. Since our Training & Development offerings are mainly face-to-face, we have had to suspend this program temporarily and hope to have new sessions available this summer 2021.
In 2008, Notre Dame of Maryland University began participating in Building Bridges Across Maryland, a unique training, networking and development program for support staff at area colleges and universities including - McDaniel College, Towson University, University of Maryland, Baltimore, and University of Maryland, Baltimore County. During our 12th year, we are grew the program and welcomed 2 new institutions - Maryland University of Integrative Health and University of Baltimore!
2021-22 Administrative Support Cohort Sessions - Virtual/Online
- Kickoff Event & Session I - Managing Your Strengths - September 1, 2021
- Take an in-depth look at your personal strengths, interests, and skills. Identifying and using your strengths is the key to improving individual effectiveness and team performance. You may even identify future career possibilities or ways to mentor less experienced colleagues.
- Session II - Radical Adaptability: 5 Keys to Personal Change - October 14, 2021
- This interactive session weaves together threads from the fields of emotional intelligence, positive psychology and coaching, innovation, customer service, and social change. From a service-oriented lens, you will learn how to become a positive agent of change who can see and activate potential in every situation, in every moment, no matter what lies ahead.
- Session III - Managing Up - November 18, 2021
- The relationship with the person who supervises you is one of the most important workplace relationships you can have. Developing a productive and positive relationship with your supervisor will help you get the best results for your career, your team, and for your organization. Cultivating that relationship, though, can be challenging when you have different work styles, different work locations, and different goals and priorities.
- Session IV - Shifting Your Mindset When Serving Customers - December 12, 2021
- As providers of customer service, we encounter "difficult" people and behavior every day. We need to learn techniques that will enable us to get through the workday without adding to our own stress levels. What if these techniques could change our mindset on how we see these encounters as people dealing with difficult situations instead of them being difficult? We will provide techniques for handling such situations while remaining calm, poised, and in control.
- Session V - Online Practices of Self-Care and Behavior Change for Resilience - January 13, 2022
- Over the past year, we have all learned the importance of ‘connection’ in a way we would never have imagined previously. We have found ways to come together and support each other online via Zoom, Teams and many other online resources for both networking and wellness practices. This workshop introduces some of the practices of health behavior change and self-care by exploring online resources to tap into your resilience potential and look at personal, social, and environmental factors that influence behavior. Today you will be invited to engage online in self-care practices to deepen your understanding of health behavior change and its impact on the individual. You will also be provided to a resource list of online resources to continue your own wellness self-care.
- Session VI - Presenting in a Virtual World - February 10, 2022
- While we would like to think that in-person presentation skills translate perfectly to an online world, they don’t. Presenting online provides us with a unique set of challenges and requires an enhanced skill set. In this session we will cover the skills that remain the same no matter the mode of delivery. We will also explore the unique challenges and the skill set needed to be effective in a virtual world. Our content will include holding successful virtual meetings, delivering effective virtual presentations and using visual aids in virtual presentations.
- Session VII - Becoming a Champion of Inclusion at All Levels of the Institution - March, 2022
- Creating inclusion requires the ongoing commitment of employees at all levels to drive a cultural shift at our institutions. Define the difference between diversity and inclusion and understand the need for both in the workplace. Identify and reduce microaggressions and unconscious bias to create a more inclusive culture. Learn how to embed inclusion into meetings, behaviors, and values, ensuring personal accountability toward building an organizational culture of inclusion.
- Graduation Event - April 14, 2022
2017-2018 Administrative Support Cohort
2016-2017 Administrative Support Cohort
2015-2016 Administrative Support Cohort
2014-2015 Administrative Support Cohort
2013-2014 Administrative Support Cohort
2012-2013 Supervisor Cohort
2012-2013 Administrative Support Cohort
Mary Alice Adams
2011-2012 Supervisor Cohort
2011-2012 Administrative Support Cohort
2010-2011 Supervisor Cohort
2010-2011 Administrative Support Cohort
2009-2010 Administrative Support Cohort
2008-2009 Administrative Support Cohort
Learn how to identify your customers and their expectations. Identify behaviors that constitute excellent service, recognize various modes of communication and when to use each, practice good customer service techniques, and develop a personal action plan to improve customer service back on the job. To register for a session, please respond to firstname.lastname@example.org one (1) week prior to session date.
Take an in-depth look at your personal strengths, interests, and skills. Identifying and using your strengths is the key to improving individual effectiveness and team performance. You will need to take an assessment prior to attending this course. To register for a session, please respond to email@example.com one (1) week prior to session date.
This program is for all new employees and is designed to give you an opportunity to learn about the history of the School Sisters of Notre Dame and the mission of the University. Mary Fitzgerald, SSND, shares Notre Dame of Maryland University’s rich culture, history, and treasured traditions and at the conclusion of the orientation, employees will have a better understanding of the importance of their role within the University’s community. These sessions are held once a quarter.
This cohort program consists of 5 sessions aimed at helping all supervisors be more efficient and effective in their roles. Participants will receive a certificate of completion after attending all 5 sessions. To register for a session, please respond to firstname.lastname@example.org one (1) week prior to session date.
Sessions include, Fundamentals of Supervision, Effective Hiring and Onboarding, Core Responsibilities, Performance Management, and Advanced Skills
The Social Style model is easy to understand and provides an effective framework and specific techniques for helping people improve their interpersonal skills. This session is designed to provide an introduction to Social Style and Versatility. This session will teach participants about the fundamental concepts of behavior versus personality, will provide insight into the four styles, and demonstrate the impact their style behavior has on others through the concept of Versatility.
While juggling multiple priorities and trying to do more with less, we must also meet deadlines, gain control over paperwork, and get more done in less time every day. Participants will develop an action plan to get and stay organized, and learn techniques to set goals, manage your time, handle interruptions, delegate tasks, avoid procrastination, identify and focus on priorities, and organize your desk and yourself.